-
September 18th, 2006, 01:16 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Not my auction, not affilliated in any way, just passing on the info! These are horns, drivers, and crossover still in the top 1/2 of a model 14 cabinet. You could probably have the components removed and save a bundle on shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PR-HUGE-ALTEC-LA...QQcmdZViewItem
-
September 21st, 2006, 01:32 AM
#2
Inactive Member
I have a pair of 604-8g Model 17's and was wondering if these MF HFModel 14 horns could be incorporated with my 604's? Do you think it would be worth the effort and if so, what would need to be done to make it work. My oak 620 cabs and these Model 14 top horns appear to match nicely cosmetically. I enjoy my 604's alot, but always looking for a way to improve the sound. Just wondering if these should be something I should consider, since I could pick them up to avoid shipping.
-
September 21st, 2006, 01:51 AM
#3
Inactive Member
What is it about your model 17's that you're not happy with?
They are wonderful sounding speakers IMHO, are you looking for more high frequency extension?
-
September 21st, 2006, 01:57 AM
#4
Inactive Member
"What is it about your model 17's that you're not happy with?
They are wonderful sounding speakers IMHO, are you looking for more high frequency extension?"
Actually there isn't anything I don't like about them. If I was looking for anything to improve, maybe a wider dispersion area. I was just wondering if these MF/HF Model 14 drivers would be a benefit in any way. It appears they crossover at 1500 like my 604's, right? What horn are those that are used in the model 14's?
If this is a stupid idea, just tell me. I have owned my Altecs for about a year and have done nothing but listen and enjoy them. I don't know much about Altecs or speakers in general, other than I think I know good sound when I hear it.
-
September 21st, 2006, 03:27 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Well,,, there is no harm in trying different things, is there.
The horn drivers in the model 14's are the same except that the magnet is ferrite as opposed to alnico like your 604-8G HF section, the diaphragms are the same.
I'm not an expert on how they will add to your system other than thay may give you more presence to the sound, all you would have to do is just run another power amp to the model 14 crossovers with it's own volume control so you could blend in the 14's horn to taste.
But there is a possibility you may not get the results you expect or want.
If high frequency extention is what you desire, This can be acomplished by running a super tweeter like a JBL 007 slot or even a Fostex T825 with its own crossover & power source.
-
September 24th, 2006, 12:16 AM
#6
Inactive Member
The horns in the Model 14's are asymetrical. The have a 110 degree horizontal dipsersion, and a 60 degree vertical. However, the vertical isn't 30/30, it's 40/20. When the speakers are sitting on the floor, the horns are situated so that the 40 degree side is to the top, pointing the sound upward. When you have them mounted up high, you flip them over and the sound points down more. Also, the 20 degree side will minimize the reflection from the floor (or cieling, depending on how the are mounted)
Here is the data sheet for the horns: http://www.lansingheritage.org/image.../931/page1.jpg
-
September 24th, 2006, 01:09 AM
#7
Inactive Member
This might be a dumb question but, are model 14s designed to be right and left speaker designated?
Seems if the horns are oriented the same way that one side would have better sound then the other.
I have seen many 14s but never paid ant attention if the horns were designed to be specifically placed R & L.
Gary
-
September 24th, 2006, 01:37 AM
#8
HB Forum Owner
If you're wanting to trade the MR931-12 Horns for the C-G series 604 horn, you can't - they won't fit.
If you're wanting to add them to your system, you CAN, but the results won't be pretty - the phasing problems would be really annoying!
However, you CAN get Bill at Great Plains Audio to put the 604-H-thru-L series horn in it, if I'm not mistaken, thus giving you nearly a 604-8H (but without the Tangerine radial phase plug).
-
October 16th, 2006, 01:18 AM
#9
Inactive Member
anybody know were i can get a good replacement woofer for my model 14 altec lansing
-
October 16th, 2006, 12:39 PM
#10
Inactive Member
The true beauty of the 604 series is that they are a co-axial design. The woofer and compression driver share the same central axis. This brings significant sonic advantage to the design. Adding any other driver external to the 604 defeats the purpose of using a 604. That's not to say it can't be improved upon as demonstrated by UREI and the folks at the Mastering Lab. But additional drivers are probably not going to do it.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks